Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Mighty Mo

This year I have been lucky enough to spend a good amount of days in Montana. Luckily for me most have been fishing the Missouri river. I grew up fishing around in Utah and fishing a lot up on the South Fork of the Snake so I kinda assumed all rivers were like these. Little did I know that huge, slow moving rivers with college educated fishing were not that far away.

Spending my first day on the mo was amazing, one of the best days I have had fishing. It was late march and cold. It rained on and off all day but never have I caught so many fish so quickly. These were not the fish I was used to either. We caught hog after hog after hog. I probably doubled up over 20 times with my dad, it was great.
I then went back in late may and caught not as many, but I did snag a few really good ones out of there.   Still I had no real idea how to fish the river.

What made me truly love the river was a trip we took in August known as the Can Am. We would spend 3 days fishing the Missouri river and a 2 days fishing the Bow river in Calgary.  We spent from 6 am until 4 pm on the river those days only rushing back to eat dinner then go out and wade hoping for the evening risers. After we got back from the Bow river we snuck in another 2 days of fishing the river before we had to go home. It was the trip of a lifetime, but also about the best education on fishing the mo as one could get. I finally feel like I could at least stand a chance on my own and I hope to go back time and time again. And honestly the whole trip was worth it to learn the word rainbro.

2 comments: